Comments

'And finally, not everyone’s being doing topical. In fact, here’s the rather lovely 6 Oxgangs Avenue devoted to the history of the development of the area, this week highlighting how the block of flats came into being. Could have been prompted by Who do you think you are? Or just a timely reminder that not everything worth blogging about is in the here and now.'

Kate Higgins, Scottish Roundup 26/08/2012



Tuesday 31 July 2018

Oxgangs-A Pastime From Time Past #15 Tam Smith


Tam Smith taking his step-dad's car for a 'spin' circa late 1960s.


Extracts from 'The Secret Diary Of Retep Nnamffoh Aged Fourteen And A Half': 



Thursday, 8th July, 1971 '...Tam Smith and I spent the late, still Oxgangs evening hanging out telling each other jokes - no different from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn a century ago on a dreamy American summer's evening.'



Sunday, 28th November, 1971: '...In the evening I enjoyed a good blether with Ali Douglas and Tam Smith - two of the best lads around. I then settled back on my bed and read my Shoot football magazine.'



Extracts from 'A 1972 Edinburgh Teenager's Diary': 

Friday, 14th January, 1972: '...After tea Gilbert Fraser; Jonathon Taylor; Ali Douglas; and Tam Smith and I were out chatting for ages. I came in later to enjoy some crisps 'n juice - a wee while since I've done that. I then settled down with Iain to watch the Friday Horror Film - it was pretty scary.'

Wednesday, 20th September, 1972: '...In the early evening I stood outside 6 Oxgangs Avenue talking away with Tam Smith (4/8 Oxgangs Street); Gilbert Fraser; and Willie Taylor (4/4 Oxgangs Street). Tam’s a nice guy as is Willie Taylor who’s a very gentle guy and so incredibly laid back that he’s almost asleep standing up! I was telling them all about my new job. Later on I went into watch Alf Garnet but it was pretty crap.'



Wednesday, 18th October, 1972: '...Oh, Tam Smith has passed on quite a stash of DC comics so I’ve got several days ahead of happy reading.'


No comments: