Comments

'And finally, not everyone’s being doing topical. In fact, here’s the rather lovely 6 Oxgangs Avenue devoted to the history of the development of the area, this week highlighting how the block of flats came into being. Could have been prompted by Who do you think you are? Or just a timely reminder that not everything worth blogging about is in the here and now.'

Kate Higgins, Scottish Roundup 26/08/2012



Monday 3 September 2012

World Cup Willie!


On Saturday 30 July 1966 at twenty to six in the early evening we were sitting in the living room at 6/2 Oxgangs Avenue having our tea.

I had turned ten years old four weeks earlier.

There was a knock on the letter-box.

I answered the door (we were regularly asked by my mother to 'Answer the front door' as if we also had a back door too!).

I looked up to see the tall figure of Andy Allan (4/7) standing on the door step.

'World Cup Willie' (Peter Roderick William Hoffmann)
I was momentarily surprised because it was the only time before or since that he ever came to our door.

Andy was three years older than me.


He handed me sixpence - a tanner - because five minutes earlier England had won the World Cup.

It was the first I'd heard of the news; I'd actually forgotten the game was even on or perhaps chosen not to watch, preferring to play football instead. Indeed, the appearance of Celtic and Rangers in two European finals a year later made a much bigger impact on me. Andy had however watched the World Cup final.

Bobby Moore holds aloft the World Cup 1966
I'd made a bet with him; it was typical of Andy to pay up and so very quickly. 

Free with The Hornet - still got a copy!
Andy had a lot of class; he was no more than an average football player, but was a fantastic captain. I always hoped to be picked in his team rather than Merc's in the evening's big game up at The Field.





No comments: