Comments

'And finally, not everyone’s being doing topical. In fact, here’s the rather lovely 6 Oxgangs Avenue devoted to the history of the development of the area, this week highlighting how the block of flats came into being. Could have been prompted by Who do you think you are? Or just a timely reminder that not everything worth blogging about is in the here and now.'

Kate Higgins, Scottish Roundup 26/08/2012



Wednesday 19 December 2012

Recent Comment From Liz Blades On Letters From Abroad

Its a shame that your comments strip came undone Peter. I just wanted to let you know that it was thanks to my mother that we had these pen-friends. She had corresponded with friends in the US before the war. I'm not sure how that came about. Anyway the family offered to have her to stay once WW2 was declared but her parents were fearful something might happen on the Atlantic crossing and she never made it. I think she always regretted that she had been denied that opportunity.
It was she who wrote to churches in the US - I have no idea where she got the contacts - asking for pen-friends for me. My two main contacts were Lisa in Los Angeles who I visited a couple of times, and Jeanetter in Cincinatti who I also visited a couple of times.
Sadly Lisa died in 1997 (just before Princess Diana). She was an alcoholic and the alcohol abuse had taken its toll and destroyed her liver. Absolutely tragic because she had been the quintessential Californian beauty, bronzed, slim, with long blonde hair. She was also the most gentle and kind person I ever knew. She was only 41 yrs old when she passed away.But if it hadn't been for my mother's efforts I would not have known her at all.

1 comment:

Peter Hoffmann said...

Hi Liz
Thanks for your comment-always great to hear from you from across the world. You must have mixed emotions looking back. Rather wonderful that you travelled out to the States-these must have been influential experiences-nae wonder you ended up in Oz!; when Helen first encouraged you to write she would have little known where it all might lead.
Best.
Peter